When we had a milk cow, we made and sold the most amazing maple yogurt you can imagine. It’s pretty easy with an Instant Pot and lots of people ask for the recipe so here it is. This recipe makes about three 24 oz jars of the maple flavored yogurt.
These items can be bought almost anywhere that sells kitchenware.
- 1 1/2 gallon of whole milk
- 1-2 tablespoons greek yogurt (should be room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup Grade B – stronger flavor
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sterilize and clean all equipment before using, including digital thermometer, whisk, cup, and the jars for storing yogurt.
- Measure 1 to 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a small bowl and set aside unrefrigerated, so that it is room temperature when it is time to mix with milk.
Cooking the milk:
Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and pour milk into the inner pot.
Replace the lid and turn to lock.
Press the Yogurt function on the Instant Pot and adjust to “boil“.
When cycle is complete, the display will read “Yogt“. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and check the temperature to ensure the milk has reached 180°F)>.
- Replace the lid and turn to lock.
Cooling the scalded milk
- Ice bath method: Place ice and cold water into a bowl large enough for the inner pot to fit. Place the inner pot into the ice bath. Keep milk in the ice bath, stirring with a whisk until temperature consistently reaches 110°F) throughout. Do not scrape the bottom of the pot while stirring, there is scalded milk at the bottom and this will give the yogurt a gritty texture if incorporated. After about five minutes of stirring, desired temperature should be reached. Remove pot from the ice bath and wipe dry.
- My lazy method: Press the Yogurt function on the Instant Pot and adjust to “24:00“. Allow to sit for 4 hours (clock will count time). Test temp when done to make sure that it is at 110°F.
Preparing and adding the yogurt starter
- In a separate bowl, ladle 1 cup of the milk with room temperature yogurt. Whisk until smooth, eliminating all lumps of yogurt.
Stir yogurt mixture into the milk, being careful not to scrape the bottom of the pot.
Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot.
Press the Yogurt Function and adjust time to 24 hours (the automatic 8 hour program can be used, but the longer it cooks, the thicker the yogurt will be. I usually let it sit overnight).
Straining the Yogurt
Place the colander in the large mixing bowl.
Place the flour sack towel (or any tightly woven material) on top of the pot with the yogurt. )You can also place the flour sack on top of the colander, but I found that the yogurt splatters all over the counter.)
Carefully flip yogurt pot over into the colander.
Take the corners of the towel and gently place them on top of the yogurt mixture.
Place the bowl with yogurt in the fridge to strain for 3 to 4 hours. The longer you strain it, the thicker it will be. Whey should be light yellow and clear (and can be used for other baking projects).
Adding Maple, Vanilla and Other Flavors
Add the following ingredients:
Add 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup.
- Add 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the combination vigorously. If the yogurt is to thick, add back from of the whey from the original mixing bowl. You can also use a mixer for creamier yogurt.
- You can also add 1 tsp of other flavored extract for additional flavoring.
Packaging the Yogurt
- Place the canning funnel in the opening of the glass canning jar and pour the yogurt in to the top.
- Secure a lid on the yogurt jar and refrigerate.